Quality Dog Foods – How to Save Money
Buying quality dog foods and trying to save money are an oxymoron. What does this mean? Contradictory phrases that are in conjunction with one another. Most quality dog foods are too expensive for those on a budget. How could a pet owner save money? However, in today’s world, caring for your pet with quality food has become more important than money.
Somehow we need to work quality into our budget for our pets. We need to know where to look for specials and savings. Since this is a dog blog, let’s look around for quality dog foods. We have the internet at our fingertips, so lets get going!
How can we afford to buy quality dog foods?
Can we afford to spend more money on quality dog foods as compared to lower quality foods at less price? Income is down in many homes, and families are struggling. Many people have lost their jobs, have become ill, lost their homes. All due to the up and downs of our economy.
Yet …. we love animals. And this primarily includes dogs and cats. We have a responsibility to our dogs and pets by looking at some of the highest quality dog foods and what they cost to buy, then placing it in our budget. We need to evaluate what dog foods we offer our dogs in regard to health and maintenance, the condition of their teeth, and then look at the cost of medical bills we will have to pay.
On low quality dog foods, we will end up taking our dogs to the vet as their health slowly goes down. Their immune system cannot keep up with the demands of their body. This causes things like diarrhea, diseases to develop, and we will find infestations of fleas and lice… which spreads throughout the home. Dog’s hair becomes dull and falls out, with dermatitis mange developing, which spreads to other animals in the home. Not only does this cost high medical bills, but it destroys the good health of the dog.
Comparing dog foods
Not all websites have good information that is acceptable. A website that is comparing its own food to others probably would not be one to use. A website that compares several foods and is accepted as an authority would be the one to use. One that has an edu., org. or one from the government or state are ones to use. They have all been researched over time and has proven facts behind it.
One I like to use is Dog Food Advisor, by Mike Sagman, that has researched, reviewed and rated more than 4,563 dog food products. If you need to know anything about any dog food, this is the site to go to. It has buying tips, but also has specials and coupons listed continuously for savings. I asked him what the best 4 and 5 star dog foods were and these are some of the highest ratings with up-to-date reviews:
- Acana Regionals Dog Food / USA (dry) – offer four dry dog foods that are 5 star but the new formula is having problems. Read reviews.
- Acana Regionals Grasslands
- Acana Regionals Wild Atlantic
- Acana Regionals Meadowland
- Acana Regionals Appalachian Ranch
- Fromm Family Gold / wet canned
- Fromm Family Gold Grain Free Chicken Pate
- Fromm Family Gold Grain Free Duck and Chicken Pate
- Fromm Family Gold Grain Free Salmon and Chicken Pate
- Holistic Select Dog Food/dry -The Holistic Select product line includes 13 dry dog foods, nine claimed to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles for adult maintenance, one for all life stages and three for growth (puppies).
- Holistic Select Senior Health
- Holistic Select Puppy Health (4.5 stars)
- Holistic Select Weight Management (3 stars)
- Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Adult Health
- Holistic Select Grain Free Adult Health (4.5 stars)
- Holistic Select Adult Health Duck Meal (3.5 stars)
- Holistic Select Adult Health Lamb Meal (3.5 stars)li>
- Holistic Select Adult Health Chicken Meal and Rice
- Holistic Select Small & Mini Breed Puppy Health (5 stars)
- Holistic Select Small & Mini Breed Adult Health (4.5 stars)
- Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy Health (3.5 stars)
- Holistic Select Grain Free Adult and Puppy Health (4.5 stars)
- Holistic Select Adult Health Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals (3.5 stars)
- *** PLUS a review of Holistic Select canned dog food
Savings on quality dog foods
Two products on the Dog Food Advisor list are the ones my granddaughter and I have used. One is the Merrick Grain Free Dry dog food. She uses it for her English Bulldog who has lots of skin issues, is overweight and has digestive problems. A rescue dog, she has little knowledge of Charlie’s background. She has tried several foods, but Merrick has been the one with the best results.
The Merrick Grain Free dry dog food is definitely a five star dog food. And the current Buying Tip is at an online retailer with Free Shipping. Two other 5 star products I have used are Wellness and Taste of the Wild. Both have Buying Tips and coupons for savings. And both are quality products.
Compare high quality to low quality, not even looking at the prices of foods. And then get a bag and try it out, seeing if it works for your dog. Just because it is expensive does not mean it will be good…but it just might be healthy for your dog’s condition. And the only way will be to try it out for at least a month or so.