USDA approves H3N8 dog influenza shot
The United States Department of Agriculture, who oversees the biological medicines for animals, has finally approved the H3N8 canine influenza vaccine for dogs called Nobivac for public use. The vaccine had been released last year by Intervet/Schering Plough Animal Health but was in limited use while safety tests were being conducted, according to Dr. Lisa Saabye, Intervet veterinarian and technical service manager. Over 746 dogs were vaccinated with no adverse affects from the shot.
DOSAGE: The canine vaccine is given as an initial injection, then a booster between two and four weeks later, and after that, yearly. PRICE: Depending on where a dog owner lives and who he goes to, the price of a canine influenza shot runs around $20 with a vet office call tacked on.
With canine influenza, or the H3N8 virus, highly contagious among dogs it has been reported that outbreaks have occurred in 33 states since 2004. Dogs who have been in contact six hours or more with an infected dog or in a large group of dogs are considered at high risk, with summer the best time for dogs to be exposed to the virus. The virus spreads through the dogs’ respiratory secretions, which makes it highly contagious and high risk in boarding kennels, doggie day-cares, animal shelters and anywhere that dogs are housed in close quarters.
Symptoms of Canine Influenza
The dog who is developing canine influenza will begin to display symptoms similar to kennel cough.
- Appetite loss
- Nasal discharge
- Eventually leading to pneumonia if left untreated.
Are Canine Influenza vaccines dangerous?
In the late 1990s, the formation of malignant tumors were formed at the site of vaccination in cats. While similar evidence does not exist for the site of dogs’ vaccinations, dog owners routinely check their dogs for antibodies first to see if vaccination is necessary. Since antibody tests can cost as much as the vaccine itself, many owners choose the vaccine over the test.
So far, H3N8 has not spread to humans but the virus had originally jumped from horses to dogs in 2004, while spreading readily from dog to dog who have no immunity to this newly developed canine influenza virus. (Source LA TIMES)
MORE CUTE STUFF . . .
GRANDMOTHER’S CORNER . . .
After putting her grandchildren to bed, a grandmother changed into old slacks and a droopy blouse and proceeded to wash her hair. As she heard the children getting more and more rambunctious, her patience grew thin.
Finally, she threw a towel around her head and stormed into their room, putting them back to bed with stern warnings. As she left the room, she heard the three-year-old say with a trembling voice, “WHAT WAS THAT!”
DAILY TIP FOR DOG CARE
Please keep antifreeze away from your dogs when working on vehicles during the summer months. Delicious to their taste buds they will drink it or lick it on their paws, developing extreme sickness, kidney failure, and death.
Symptoms of dog antifreeze poisoning
- Problems with their coordination
The above signs are emergency situations and a vet should be contacted at once as kidney failure will occur within 20 minutes from initial consumption.
* * * * *
>> Help us help our dogs! Consider becoming a patron so we can help even more dogs. Every dollar is appreciated. Please help here.
>> For more dog health info, dog stories and fun stuff, subscribe to our newsletter here.
* * * * *
Leave a Reply